Informing HMRC of Changes In your Personal Details

Accounts Navigator

If your personal details change, you are required to notify HMRC as this can affect your entitlement to certain tax breaks and/or benefits.

You need to tell HMRC if:

  • you get married or forma a civil relationship
  • you divorce, separate or stop living with your husband, wife or partner

the sooner you tell HMRC the better the change could result in you paying too much or too little tax.

You must also inform HMRC if you receive tax credits or child benefit and there are changes to your relationship or family.

In the event, that your spouse or civil partner dies it is also a requirement to report the death to HMRC as well as notifying of changes to your income. For example, the death would mean that the surviving spouse is no longer entitled to claim the married couple’s allowance.

If you move home, it is of course advisable to let HMRC know as soon as possible so they can update your contact details. HMRC should also be informed if you change gender, although the process is usually automatic if you apply for a gender recognition certificate.

This article is copyright © 2022